Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Is a pension or ssi considered earned income

My husband received ssi and...
My husband received ssi and is now drawing his pension. Are either of them considered earned income? We need the answer to put on the FAFSA forms for our childs schooling
2/23/2007
Wendy Reed
Wendy Reed, Enrolled Agent

Hi there,

SSI and pension income are not considered earned income for the FAFSA. SSI is added to Worksheet A as nontaxable income (nontaxable social security benefits).

Taxable portions of pension will be included in your gross income, and any nontaxable portions of pension will be included on Worksheet B.

Let me know if you need any additional assistance, I realize that FAFSA can be a little intimidating. Their customer service is usually pretty good in answering questions also.

Wendy Reed
Wendy Reed, Enrolled Agent
Wendy Reed
Wendy Reed
Wendy Reed, Enrolled Agent