How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jason Hamilton Your Own Question
Jason Hamilton
Jason Hamilton, Tax Collector
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 50
Experience:  IRS Tax Auditor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Jason Hamilton is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What to do if your W-2 was stolen?

Resolved Question:

My apartment complex mailbox was broken into and my W-2 was stolen, what should I do and who should I contact?

Submitted: 10 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Jason Hamilton replied 10 years ago.

First of all, you would want to protect yourself from identity theft. Here is a link that could provide you with some helpful information:

Second to get another W-2 you could either contact your employer (in which they can reissue you another W-2 but may charge you a fee) or call 1-***-***-**** and speak with an IRS rep who can provide you the W-2 information. Here is a link for more information on that:,,id=106470,00.html

Hope this is helpful!

Jason Hamilton and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you