How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask jgordosea Your Own Question
jgordosea, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3161
Experience:  I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
jgordosea is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Does my Employer have to take out state tax I work in NH ...

Resolved Question:

Does my Employer have to take out state tax? I work in NH and live in Vermont
Submitted: 10 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  jgordosea replied 10 years ago.

New Hampshire does not have a general sales tax or an income tax on an individual's reported W-2 wages. There are taxes on an individual's interest and dividends income, business taxes, consumer excise taxes and other taxes for income earned in New Hampshire. See for details.

Your employer does not have to take out any taxes for the work in New Hampshire.

Unless you also do work for that employer in Vermont, that employer does not have to take out any Vermont state taxes; but you will have to include your income when you file your Vermont income tax return.

You should make estimated payments to the state of Vermont.

See for more information, including the following statement:

"Estimated payments are generally necessary on income with no withholding or insufficient withholding. Making estimated payments is particularly important for residents working in another state or non-Vermont residents working in Vermont."




jgordosea and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you