Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Does an unincorporated homeowners association have to file ...

Customer Question
Does an unincorporated homeowners association...
Does an unincorporated homeowners association have to file an income tax return, if so what? The Association collects a monthly common charge, and pays bills for the common area such as utilities, management fees, repairs and maintenance of common areas.
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: Tax
2/8/2007
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 10 years ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

If your homeowner association has a status of tax-exempt organization - it must file an annual information return. Tax-exempt organizations that have annual gross receipts not normally in excess of $25,000 are not required to file the annual information return.

A homeowners association may elect to take advantage of the certain tax benefits provided by section 528 of the Internal Revenue Code by filing the form 1120H - http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1120h.pdf U.S. Income Tax Return For Homeowners Associations as it's income tax return.

See instruction - page 2 - for further information on the tax benefits available under the election and for the requirements of the election.

Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor