How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ed Johnson Your Own Question
Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 10760
Experience:  GPHR Cert; U.S. Treasury Tax Advocacy Panel appointee
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Ed Johnson is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

how do i find out if there is a hold on my tax refund ...

Customer Question

how do i find out if there is a hold on my tax refund for very old school loan and if there is is there any way to keep from loseing all of my refund ?
Submitted: 10 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Ed Johnson replied 10 years ago.

Dear murph,

If your student loan has been referred to the U.S. Treasurey Offset Program, you wouldl have received a notification.

In the envent, that due to mail delays, etc, you might have not received a notification, you can check the status of your return at this link:

If the message does not say your refund is on the way, write down the information provided including any codes, and contact the IRS at:(NNN) NNN-NNNN

Be sure to follow the prompts that avoid automated information.

Ask the agent to speak to someone regarding the status of your account.

Unfortunately, the only way you can avoid losing all of the refund for your account as a result of the offset program, is to pay the loan, or contact the agency to find out if you can negotiate alternative arrangements.

Ed Johnson and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
should i go ahead and file my 2005 and 2006 taxes and take a chance that they didnt put a hold on my refunds for the 1989 school loan i am just comming out of a irs bankruptcy were they got all my refunds for 3 years i should have filled last year but didnt it would have been the first one i got to keep after the bankruptcy case was closed i have a refund comming for both years
Expert:  Ed Johnson replied 10 years ago.

Dear murph,

You should file your taxes for 2005 and 2006. Even if you may not get the refund. The reason is that even if you had a refund coming, the refund, if the offset is in place, it will reduce the amount of your loan. In addition, should you end up owing any tax, you will reduce any penalty or interest of any amount due.