Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

how do i find out if there is a hold on my tax refund ...

Customer Question
how do i find out...
how do i find out if there is a hold on my tax refund for very old school loan and if there is is there any way to keep from loseing all of my refund ?
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: Tax
2/3/2007
Tax Professional: Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer replied 10 years ago
Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer

Dear murph,

If your student loan has been referred to the U.S. Treasurey Offset Program, you wouldl have received a notification.

In the envent, that due to mail delays, etc, you might have not received a notification, you can check the status of your return at this link:

https://sa1.www4.irs.gov/irfof/lang/en/irfofgetstatus.jsp

If the message does not say your refund is on the way, write down the information provided including any codes, and contact the IRS at:(NNN) NNN-NNNN

Be sure to follow the prompts that avoid automated information.

Ask the agent to speak to someone regarding the status of your account.

Unfortunately, the only way you can avoid losing all of the refund for your account as a result of the offset program, is to pay the loan, or contact the agency to find out if you can negotiate alternative arrangements.

Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer
Relist: I still need help.
should i go ahead and file my 2005 and 2006 taxes and take a chance that they didnt put a hold on my refunds for the 1989 school loan i am just comming out of a irs bankruptcy were they got all my refunds for 3 years i should have filled last year but didnt it would have been the first one i got to keep after the bankruptcy case was closed i have a refund comming for both years

Dear murph,

You should file your taxes for 2005 and 2006. Even if you may not get the refund. The reason is that even if you had a refund coming, the refund, if the offset is in place, it will reduce the amount of your loan. In addition, should you end up owing any tax, you will reduce any penalty or interest of any amount due.

Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer