Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

How much money does SSD allow a person to make monetarily

before payments stop? I...
How much money does SSD allow a person to make monetarily before payments stop? I believe there is a quarterly allotment allowed before SSD determines you make enough to take care of your needs financially without assistance. This for me is easier than trying to drive to the SSD office and sitting and waiting for an answer from a worker there who also may not know. Do they also provide a 'blanket' net,,,in other words,,,you become involved in a work experience but you and your doctor agree it's too much,,,what is the time frame for automatically reverting back to SSD without reapplying.
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/22/2007
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

Substantial Gainful Activity is simply the dollar amount that a disability beneficary (ssi or social security) may earn each month while simultaneously maintaining eligibility for benefits.

Currently, the SGA amount for 2007 is $900.00.

Individuals who work and have earned gross monthly income exceeding the SGA threshold are not considered disabled and are ineligible to receive benefits.

Lastly, is there a reversal process as I mentioned in my original question, meaning, is there a time frame you can work , and if incapable, revert back to SSD without re-application? Once it's gone it is gone? Seems a no incentive work plan to me.

I will repeat myself - Individuals who work and have earned gross monthly income exceeding the SGA threshold are not considered disabled and are ineligible to receive benefits.

You may apply for SSD benefit if you become eligible again. You may evaluate your eligibility using questionary (select your state first) - http://www.disabilitysecrets.com/formpage2.html

Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Relist: I prefer a second opinion.
I prefer an answer from an SSD attorney regarding working and income earning possibilities while maintaining SSD benefits.
Steve -- a.k.a. Oreport
Steve -- a.k.a. Oreport, Internet Information Researcher
My name is Steve. I would like to provide you with some additional information.

My colleague, Lev, is correct -- $900 is the 2007 monthly Substantial Gainful Activity (SGA) amount for beneficiaries receiving Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) benefits. In n order to continue to be eligible to receive SSDI benefits, your monthly earnings must remain below the SGA level.

Note that the SGA amount for SSDI beneficiaries who are blind is higher. You can (and should) report 'Impairment related work expenses' (expenses related to your disability which are necessary in order for you to be able to work) because, if approved, they will be deducted from your earnings for SGA purposes.

Beneficiaries receiving Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits have different earnings limits and rules.

To answer the second part of your question, regarding resuming SSDI benefits without reapplying -- there are two provisions to keep in mind:

1.) Trial work Period -- SSDI beneficiaries have a nine-month Trial Work Period. During these trial work months (which do not need to be consecutive) you can earn as much as you can without your benefits being affected. However, if you are working at or above the SGA level (currently $900) when your ninth trial month expires, your benefits will cease. Currently (2007) any month in which your earnings are at least $640 (after deducting any impairment related Work expenses) will count toward your nine-month trial work period.

2.) Extended Period of Eligibility -- after your Trial Work Period has expired, you have a 36 (consecutive) month period -- during which your SSDI benefits will automatically resume if and when your monthly earnings fall below the SGA level. After the extended eligibility period, your SSDI benefits will cease whenever your monthly earnings (minus any impairment related work expenses) meet or exceed the SGA amount. Should you again become unable to work, after your extended period of eligibility expires, you will need to reapply for SSDI benefits.

Click here for additional information.

Let me know if you need more input. If not, thanks for the opportunity to assist you... Please honor my efforts by Clicking the green 'Accept' button (located within this post -- above-right). Adding a bonus -- should you wish to do so -- would be warmly welcomed.

I would also appreciate your Feedback comments regarding your experience with me.

Good Luck!

Steve
Steve -- a.k.a. Oreport
Regarding the SSDI issue as in discussion, it is very confusing. Is the SGA amount before or after taxes are taken out? Also, to work must you enter into a trail work program with SSD admin.? Trial work is very confusing,Ie.e "you can make as much as you want BUT in the 9th month if you are working at the SGA it stops." Last sentence "any month in which your earnings are $640 will count toward the 9 month trail." I don't understand this at all! Is it a mo.- mo. aquistion or cumulative? Then afetr a trail work period I can work 3 years at $900./month or $640.00? During that time if I am making the SGA (which I am confused if it is $640 or $900), I would not receive benefits and if the income drops below the SGA for that month, I would,,,sounds like a real hokey system...SERIOUSLY! Sounds VERY CONFUSING at the least. HELP!
Thank you for Accepting my previous answer... You will get absolutely no argument from me that SSDI 'work incentive' rules are confusing -- and (in my opinion, at least) arbitrary.

The SGA amount is figured based on your monthly total gross (before tax) earned income (such as wages and salary). Remember that (approved) Impairment Related Work Expenses are deducted from earnings before calculating your earnings amount for SGA purposes. By the way, monthly earnings are counted for the month in which they are paid.

Trial Work Period -- You have a total of nine months of trial work eligibility. One of your trial work months is used for each month or your monthly gross earnings exceed the trial work 'trigger' amount -- currently (2007) $640. As an example, let us say that your SSDI benefits started on January 1, 2007 -- which means that you receive your first check in February 2007. It further assume that you have earned income for the period January through June 2007. Let us further assume that your monthlyearnings for January March and May was $640 or more for each of these months -- and that your earnings for the months of February April and June 2007 -- and for the period July through December 2007 -- were less than $640 per month. At the end of 2007 you would have six remaining months of trial work eligibility. In summary, your trial work eligibility months are not a consecutive calendar period. Your trial work eligibility will remain unless and until you work a total of nine months where your earnings are at or above the current earnings trigger level for trial work.

The SGA amount (currently $900) does not come into play as long as you have unused trial work months. Your 36 month extended eligibility period -- is -- a consecutive calendar month period -- but it does not start taking off until the first month after you have used up all of your trial work months. Once started, however, your extended period of eligibility expires at the end of 36 months regardless of whether or not you were or how much you earn.

BotXXXXX XXXXXne:

Your benefits will continue uninterrupted, no matter how much you earn (even if it is above the SGA amount) -- in any month during which you still have trial work eligibility. You can take as long as you want to use up your nine trial work months -- there is no calendar expiration on them -- only the $640 or more monthly earned income trigger.

Your 36 month period of extended eligibility -- during which your benefits will re-start immediately during any month in which your monthly earnings fall below the SGA earnings limit -- will not start until immediately after you have used up your ninth month of trial work eligibility. Once started your period of extended eligibility is a continuous 36 month period which will countdown and expire regardless of whether or not you work or how much you earn.

Both the SGA amount and the trial work period earnings trigger amount are adjusted annually -- based on increases in the cost of living. These amounts are posted on the SSA.gov web site -- but you have to search for them.

Ideally, both the trial work period and the extended eligibility period are intended to provide a 'safety net' for SSDI beneficiaries who attempt to go back to work.

Here is another Link with more detailed information on SSDI/SSI work incentives.

Thanks in advance.

Steve
Steve -- a.k.a. Oreport
New Question!
This is for Steve or any tax professional that thinks he/she that could answer this question. I am on SSDI. My mother has substantial property in a Living Trust. We are wondering what happens to my share after a division of selling of assets. Will I have to pay capital gains? Will I incur any substantial cost outside of settling these properties with 2 other siblings who work? If she did a reverse mortgae on any of her paid homes and gifted me proceeds would she incur a cost or would I incur (added income) to be deducted from my SSDI as a gift? When I inherit, what can SSDI hold claim to , if anything? I am a property owner myself. I recently took money out of an annuity and did not pay capital gains or taxes due to the low debt to income ratio as I am still paying on my own property (this is what I presume). Any help on the idea of the reverse mortgage and my distribution of the assets in the living trust being on SSDI?
I can answer the SSDI part of your question.

The only income which -- directly -- affects your SSDI benefits is income that you earn from work.

Income from any non-earnings source will have absolutely no -- direct -- effect on your SSDI benefits.

You will have to pay federal taxes on your benefits if you file a federal tax return as an "individual" and your total income is more than $25,000. If you file a joint return, you will have to pay taxes if you and your spouse have a total income that is more than $32,000.

Read more here.

The other aspects of your questions and are not within my area of expertise. I recommend that you post them in a new question thread.

Click above Link(s) (if any) for additional information.

Good Luck!

Steve
Steve -- a.k.a. Oreport
Thank you for accepting my previous Answer.

Regarding your remaining concerns -- I recommend that you post them as a new question -- in either the Tax or Financial question categories.

Thanks in advance.

Steve
Steve -- a.k.a. Oreport
Steve -- a.k.a. Oreport