RD
RD, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  CPA, MBA, Over 10 yrs of experience in tax planning and business consulting..
510454

How should a 16 year old fill out his W-4 form that is ...

How should a 16 year old fill out his W-4 form that is working 24 hrs or less per week, and is still a dependent on his mother's income tax? Should he claim 0 dependents, and if so will he get any money back at the end of the year, and does he need to fill out an income tax

Whether he will have to file a tax return will depend on this total income. Note that the mother cannot claim her child if the child can provide more that 50% of his own support.

I would suggest him to claim 2 allowances so that tax gets deducted at a lower rate. By claiming 0 more taxes will be deducted and he may get a refund at the end when filing a tax return.

Let me know if you have any question. Bonus and Feedback will be highly appreciated!!!

Please note: This advice is provided with the understanding that all the relevant facts have been provided by you. Any change in facts might affect the advice given and hence may not be relied on in such cases.

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
By him claiming 2, this means that his mother can still claim him on her income tax. I know that he will not make more than 50% of his own support.

Will he have to fill out an income tax next year? He's only making minimum wage.

He will have to file a tax return if his gross income is more than $5350 presuming he does not have any self employment earnings.

yes, you can still claim him if he does not provide more than 50% of his own support.

see link below for qualifying child definition

http://www.irs.gov/publications/p501/ar02.html#d0e3591