How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ed Johnson Your Own Question
Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 10760
Experience:  GPHR Cert; U.S. Treasury Tax Advocacy Panel appointee
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Ed Johnson is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can you claim a dependent for half of the year I am my ...

Resolved Question:

Can you claim a dependent for half of the year? I am my sister's guardian while my mother is deployed in Iraq and have had her in my care for 6 months this year and probably 6 months next year as well.
Submitted: 10 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Ed Johnson replied 10 years ago.


Unfortunately, you are not able to claim a half a dependent. Only one of you will have to claim the child for the entire year.


Ed Johnson and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you