Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

is mental therapy a tax deduction

i have been going to...
i have been going to a marriage and family therapist for almost a year, and i want to know if i can add this to my tax deduction or similar
1/8/2007
RD
RD, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Medical expenses are the costs of diagnosis, cure, mitigation, treatment, or prevention of disease, and the costs for treatments affecting any part or function of the body. They include the costs of equipment, supplies, and diagnostic devices needed for these purposes. They also include dental expenses.

Medical care expenses must be primarily to alleviate or prevent a physical or mental defect or illness. They do not include expenses that are merely beneficial to general health, such as vitamins or a vacation.

Going to marriage and family therapist will not fall under the meaning of medical expenses. It is more towards promoting your marriage and family life. It is like counselling and hence will not be deductible unless you have mental illness as discussed below.

To qualify as a medical expense-it must be paid for the prevention or alleviation of a physical or mental defect or illness. Medical care expenses include payments for the diagnosis, cure, mitigation, treatment, or prevention of disease, or treatment affecting any structure or function of the body. The cost of drugs is deductible only for drugs that require a prescription, except for insulin. Click the link for detail information-

http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc502.html

Also here is a link to the publication that described various treatments that will be deductible.

http://www.irs.gov/publications/p502/index.html

Let me know if you have any question. Bonus and Feedback will be highly appreciated!!!

Please note: This advice is provided with the understanding that all the relevant facts have been provided by you. Any change in facts might affect the advice given and hence may not be relied on in such cases.

I spent alot of money on this, so in other words i have to be mentally unstable?

Unforunately, yes. It has to be a mental illness or defect whereby the mental therapy has been prescribed to cure such a defect or illness.

RD
RD, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
thank you for your answer

You are welcome!

RD
RD
RD, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)