Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

how to report mortgage interest RECEIVED by individual...

Customer Question
my parents issued me a...
my parents issued me a mortgage on my home how do they report the interest i pay them. currently they issue me a 1098 and 1096 is filed aswell but the form askes for 04 # XXXXX which they dont have they then pick up int on sch b....can they treat as a gift the interest portion instead each year and just not file on this issue and apply my surplus payment to next years mortgage?
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: Tax
12/14/2006
Tax Professional: Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks, Master Tax Advisor, Enrolled Agent replied 10 years ago
Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks
Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks, Master Tax Advisor, Enrolled Agent

The interest must be listed on their Schedule B (including your name, address and ss#) even if they do gift you the interest.

Total gifts to you that exceed 11000 (including this gifted interest) must also be listed by them on a Gift Tax Return which can reduce their Unified Credit for their Estate and Gifts before any gift tax is actually due.

ok thanks i will accept answer shortly......forgeting the gift aspect do my parents need to fill out the 1096 and 1098 as well as the sch b?
They should file form 1098 and 1096 if the interest is 600 or more since they are not a financial institution.
Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks
Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks
Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks