How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ed Johnson Your Own Question
Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 10760
Experience:  GPHR Cert; U.S. Treasury Tax Advocacy Panel appointee
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Ed Johnson is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

if i live in new hampshire, but work in massachusetts, do i ...

Customer Question

if i live in new hampshire, but work in massachusetts, do i have to pay massachusetts state tax
Submitted: 10 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Ed Johnson replied 10 years ago.


Unfortunately, Massachusetts and New Hampshire to not have recipricol income tax agreements. This means that you will have to file a non-residnet return for Massachusetts, and a residnet return for New Hampshire.

New Hampshire will want to tax your world wide income, while Massachusetts will want to tax only the income sourced in the state. New Hampshire will give you a tax credit for taxes paid to Mass.