Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Can you purchase a house using a TAX ID number

Customer Question
I want to find out...
I want to find out who a TAX ID number belongs to. An individual, who does not own a business, used a TAX ID # XXXXX purchase a house and has a corporate warranty deed to the house. Is this legal?
Submitted: 11 years ago.Category: Tax
11/30/2006
Tax Professional: Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer replied 11 years ago
Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer

DearCustomer

.

This is a legal transaction.

Explanation (high level view) the term of TAX ID is often used in legal language to speak of any of the legal identification numbers related to taxes. All of the following are considered tax ID numbers in some legal language.

• Social Security Number
  • Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN)
  • EIN (Employer Identification Number)

The social security number authorizes employment and is the tax identification number used by the IRS to create your accounts and to assess taxes, report wages, and for you to file taxes, receive refunds and apply for benefits. The SSN is assigned by the Social Security Administration.

The ITIN number is XXXXX by the IRS and does not authorize employment, or does not allow, in most cases, to apply for benefits. (There are exceptions). The ITIN is used in situations where someone is not authorized a SSN and has transactions reportable to the IRS including payment of taxes, filing taxes and receiving refunds if any, or to be included in a tax return as a dependent, or in this case for conducing real-estate transactions when documents have to be filed with the IRS.

The EIN number is XXXXX issued by the IRS and is used to help create the identity of a business and allows the business to file returns and pay taxes, and to conduct business in its own name.

1. Because of the privacy act and other laws, you are not able to obtain the information about who belongs to the TAX ID number under most circumstances. If you are a business activity that has an account with a credit reporting agency, you may be able to run a credit check on the number.

2. If this is an EIN number and represents a business, you can do an EIN check on Dun and Bradstreet's web site. Dun and Bradstreet is a credit reporting agency for businesses.

http://www.dnb.com/us/

This website also has an EIN look up: http://www.freeerisa.com/Extras/EINFinder.asp

3. The other way you can find out the owner to the property, is to go to your county assessor's web page and look up the property address.

http://www.sarasotaproperty.net/scpa_record_search.asp

If you are not in Sarasota County, please let me know

Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer
Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer