How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ed Johnson Your Own Question
Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 10760
Experience:  GPHR Cert; U.S. Treasury Tax Advocacy Panel appointee
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Ed Johnson is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in Indiana but work in Illinois. Where should I pay ...

Resolved Question:

I live in Indiana but work in Illinois. Where should I pay state income taxes?
Submitted: 10 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Ed Johnson replied 10 years ago.


Thank you for the opportunity to respond to this question.

Illionois and Indiana do not have a recipricol income tax agreement. This means that your employer should be taxing you based on your illinois sourced income for illinois.

This also means that you will have ot file two state returns.

1. You will file an illinois non-resident return and claim any refund due to you by illinois.

2. You will file an Indiana resident return. Because you are a resident of Indiana, Indiana will tax your world wide income. However, you will get credit for paying taxes in Illlinois. If the Indiana tax is greater, you will have to pay the difference.

NOTE: these states have recipricol agreements, just not with each other.

Ed Johnson and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you