Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

what year did the military personnel start paying ...

Customer Question
what year did the military...
what year did the military personnel start paying income tax in history?
Submitted: 11 years ago.Category: Tax
10/28/2006
Tax Professional: Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer replied 11 years ago
Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer

DearCustomer

The military members first paid income tax on their earnings in 1861. Our income tax has been off and on for a few years before becoming permanent. Early in our tax history federal wages were not taxable income, by act of congress.

Military pay was first taxed as income,as part of the current system in 1967 when congress established a regular method and process for assessing military pay and allowances.

Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer