Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

How much federal and state tax should be due if I earn ...

Customer Question
How much federal and state...
How much federal and state tax should be due if I earn 20,000.00 per year, or 22,000.00 per year...and how much earned income credit will be allowed if I file single or head of household with my son as an exemption?
Submitted: 11 years ago.Category: Tax
8/15/2006
Tax Professional: Walter Johnson, Tax return preparer. replied 11 years ago
Walter Johnson
Walter Johnson, Tax return preparer.

Dear joker:

I'll need some more information before I can give you an answer.

Does your son live with you? How old is he?

Is there anyone else in your household?

Do you own a home, or do you rent?

Do you pay more than half the cost of the household?

These are all questions that you will have to answer to file a tax return.

Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 11 years ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

Assuming you are HOH with one dependent child:

• for $20,000 - $588 income tax and $1759 EIC

• for $22.000 - $788 income tax and $1439 EIC

You may be eligible for Additional Child Tax Credit if your son is under 13.

Reply to XXXXX XXXXX's Post: I do an easy form, no iteminzing or anything, my son is 23 and in college, so I know I get to claim him for one more year towards earned income credit. I am renting from a roomate, I'm just not sure if I'm paying enough bi-weekly toward my taxes since I'm claiming 4 deductions so my paycheck is larger. I don't want to get stuck at the end of the year paying taxes or not recieving at much earned income credit as I have in the past to make up for the low amount I have been deducting from my bi-weekly paycheck Renee'

Dear Joker:

This could get complicated, I'm afraid. You mentioned a room mate, so there is someone else living in the household. this could affect both your HOH status and EIC eligibility. If your room mate also files a return from the same address, there may be questions raised about who is eligible to claim HOH or the EIC. this will depend on inter-related factors such as relative income, amount of household expenses paid, relationships, etc. Be sure you read the instructions carefully before filing your return.

Other than that, if you qualify, the numbers sent by LEV will give you an idea of what your federal tax will be. Also look at things like retirement plan contributions and higher education expenses. As you can see, there's no general answer to how much tax you will have; everyone's situation is different.

Reply to Lev's Post: waiting for a reply..Customer
Reply to XXXXX XXXXX's Post: is that estimate for federal tax? state tax..or both combined? How about state eic, don't they also offer some sort of payment? Renee'Customeredited>38945.607593831

Dear joker:

Yes, as I wrote earlier, that's for federal tax. Maryland has an EIC of %0% of federal EIC, up to the amount of tax. Expect a MD tax f about $375, offset by EIC, for a net tax of zero.

Reply to XXXXX XXXXX's Post: So the taxs due to the state if you earn 20,000.00 or 22,000.00 would be about 325.00? There is no set amount off eic from the state?

for $20,000:

• federal - $588 income tax and $1759 EIC - you will get a refund $1171

• MD - state $641 + Baltimore $445 = $1086

for $22.000:

• federal - $788 income tax and $1439 EIC - - you will get a refund $651

• MD - state $722 + Baltimore $497 = $1219

Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Relist: I still need help.
you gave me the answer for the federal refund but the state answer I don't understand? is that a refund quote or taxes due quote? Baltimore is listed in there as well, why? I'm just trying to figure out how much fed. and state taxes are due for 20,000.00 per year and how much earned income credit is available?
As you listed that you are live in Baltimore city - there are additional Baltimore city taxes. If you doesn't live in the Baltimore the taxes will be different. State quote are for 2005 - for 2006 the taxes will be a little less. Federal taxes are for 2006.
Reply to Lev's Post: Sorry, I am not getting the answer to my question...I don't live in the city, I don't think it matters...how much state tax is due on 20,000.00 dollars??????? And how much earned income credit is there for a person who earns 20,000.00 per year from the state???????

The state of MD provides EIC at 50% of the federal rate.

Lev's answer was the amount of tax on your income, and the EIC amount would reduce the tax by that amount. If the EIC exceeds the tax, the balance is refunded; sort of a negative income tax. Maryland does not rfund the excess EIC.

Walter Johnson
Walter Johnson, Tax return preparer.
Walter Johnson
Walter Johnson
Walter Johnson, Tax return preparer.