How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29558
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Does the state of Virginia have gift tax requirments

Resolved Question:

Is there a Virginia tax law requiring a tax to be paid on large monetary and or real estate gifts? Gift transfered 2002.
Submitted: 10 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 10 years ago.

The Virginia estate tax is a transfer tax on the estates of resident decedents and the estates of nonresident decedents having real estate or tangible personal property located in Virginia. See more details here -

following form EST-80 should be used - Federal estate tax return (forn 706) should be attached.

Virginia doesn't have gift tax and gift is considered as taxable income.

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Lev's Post: Please explain your last sentence.

"...and gift is considered taxable income."

If that gift (giftor is alive)is real estate, is the giftee then to have the property valued for reporting reasons or are we talking about cash gifts only? Are there cash gift annual limits?
Expert:  Lev replied 10 years ago.

Sorry, this is typo. Should be read: the gift is considered non-taxable income.

The gift (either cash or property) valued less than $12,000 (for 2006) per person per year will not have any tax circumstances. The gift above this amount would require the giftor to file gift tax return - IRS form 709 - The gift tax would due if lifetime limit $1,000,000 is reached.

Virginia doesn't have gift tax.

Lev and 3 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you