Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

1099....how much should I estimate in taxes and what can I write off

Customer Question
I am begining a career...
I am begining a career as a loan officer and will be receiving a 1099 for my commissions. Do I need to estimate quarterly taxes and if so, how much? Also, what am I allowed to write off as a business expense?
Submitted: 11 years ago.Category: Tax
7/19/2006
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 11 years ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

Do you have other income besides this?

What gross income do you expect?

Whar are expenses in connection with this business do you expect?

What is your filing status - married/single? any dependents?

Reply to Lev's Post: 1. I have no other income besides this.

2. I am estimating my gross income to be $300,000

3. In terms of expenses, I'm wondering what is generally considered and what is, maybe a stretch. I purchased a car when I first started this job, internet access, faxing, office supplies, etc. What receipts should I be saving...lunches, gas, make-up and nail services? I hope you can see where I'm going with this.

4. Single with no dependents

Let first estimate your taxes.

Assuming you would have $20,000 expenses and net income $280,000.

Self-employment taxes

• 15.3% for first $94,200 - $14413

• 2.9% for ($280,000-$94,200) - $5,388

Total SE taxes - $19,801.

Adjasted Gross Income $280,000 - ($19,801/2)= $270,100

Assuming you will have standard deduction your taxes will be $72,944

Total tax - $92,745.

You need to pay estimate tax. Form 1040es should be filled - http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040es.pdf Be aware that the firt payment is due on April 15, 2006.

California taxes will be ~$23,000 and you need to pay estimate taxes as well. Here ares a form and instructions to be filled:

Because of large state taxes you will probably use itemize deductions and you actual federal taxes will be lower. You may deduct your mortgage interest, real estate and property taxes, charitable contribution etc.

You may consider some kind retiremet plan to reduce tax presure. Also medical insurance cost would be deductible.

Sorry, nail services are not deductible. Lunches might be deductible if the customer is invited and you pay. Travel expenses are deductible if traveling for business. I feel that you need to be familiar with IRS publication 535 to be aware what are deductible expenses - http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p535.pdf

Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor