How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks Your Own Que...
Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks
Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks, Master Tax Advisor, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 1257
Experience:  I am a Master Tax Advisor and Enrolled Agent. I have 40 years experience. Trucking specialist.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Does a 15 year old minor have to pay taxes

Resolved Question:

I have hired a 15 year old to do office clerical work and believe he is exempt from and taxes. Is this correct and if so is my requirement to just 1099 him at the end of the year?
Submitted: 11 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks replied 11 years ago.

He may be exempt from federal withholding tax if he had -0- tax liability the previous year (got all of his withheld tax refunded or was not required to file) AND he expects to have the same -0- tax liability for this tax year.

He will still have ss and medicare tax withheld as usual and MAY also be subject to state/local withholding.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks's Post: This is not a definitive answer to my question which is probably why I couldn't find the answer on line either. He only has worked for me and has never filed a tax return. Should I just treat him like a regular employee with W-4 and let him file to be safe?
Expert:  Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks replied 11 years ago.
You should have him file a w-4 just like other employees. If his total income for the tax year will be less than 5000, he is likely to be able to use EXEMPT. If he is in doubt, have him claim -0- and single on his w-4 and file a return to get any refund to which he will be due.
Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you