Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

What is the maximum amount of federal unemployment taxes an ...

Customer Question
What is the maximum amount...
What is the maximum amount of federal unemployment taxes an employer will pay per worker in a given year?
Submitted: 11 years ago.Category: Tax
7/5/2006
Tax Professional: Christopher Phelps, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 11 years ago
Christopher Phelps
Christopher Phelps, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

The amount of federal unemployment tax (FUTA) paid by an employer depends on the amount (if any) of state unemployment taxes paid.

Generally, FUTA is calculated at 6.2% on the first $7,000 of wages. Thus, the maximum FUTA per employee, per year is $434. However, if you have paid your full state unemployment tax liability prior to filing Form 940 (i.e. FUTA form), then you may take a credit equal to 5.4% of taxable wages. Thus, if all state unemployment taxes have been paid, the maximum FUTA payment is 0.8% of wages (i.e. up to $7,000) or $56.

Because it is impossible for me to identify and consider ALL the relevant facts, this advice is not intended or written to be used for the purpose of avoiding penalties, and cannot be used for that purpose.

Christopher Phelps
Christopher Phelps