How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks Your Own Que...
Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks
Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks, Master Tax Advisor, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 1257
Experience:  I am a Master Tax Advisor and Enrolled Agent. I have 40 years experience. Trucking specialist.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can I claim an inmate on my federal taxes ...

Customer Question

Can I claim an inmate on my federal taxes?
Submitted: 11 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks replied 11 years ago.

The person must have lived with you all year if they are not related to you or have lived with you for more than 6 months of the tax year if they are related.

They must not be providing more than 50% of their own total support if they are a Qualified Relative. You must have paid more than 50% of their total support if they are not a Qualified Relative.

They must have income of less than the exemption amount (3200 for 2006) if they are not your Qualified Child who also meets the residency test.

They must not be a dependent for another person.

Usually inmates have more than 50% of their total support provided by the government operating the penal institute even if you do provide some personal support.

Related Tax Questions