How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RD Your Own Question
RD, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 8784
Experience:  CPA, MBA, Over 10 yrs of experience in tax planning and business consulting..
Type Your Tax Question Here...
RD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What is the filing threshold for federal income tax I ...

Resolved Question:

What is the filing threshold for federal income tax? I only babysit sporadically on an as-needed basis.
Submitted: 11 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  RD replied 11 years ago.
If you are doing this as a self employed person and not employed by anyone (meaning not getting wages) than this will be considered as your self employed income to be reported on Sch C.
You also need to be aware that you will owe self-employment taxes on any profit in addition to income taxes. These are calculated on Schedule SE.

In arriving at the net income subject to self employment tax you can deduct any costs associated with earning the income - toys, food, cleaning supplies, etc. that are "reasonable in amount and necessary in carrying on the business."

Self-employed individuals, sole-proprietors, independent contractors and persons who have net earnings of $400 or more are required to pay self-employment tax by filing Schedule SE (PDF), attached to their Form 1040, U.S. Individual Income Tax Return.

So you will file tax return if your net earnings from self employment is $400 or more.

Let me know if you have any question.
[email protected]

Please note: This advice is provided with the understanding that all the relevant facts have been provided by you. Any change in facts might affect the advice given and hence may not be relied on in such cases.
RD and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you