How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ed Johnson Your Own Question
Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 10760
Experience:  GPHR Cert; U.S. Treasury Tax Advocacy Panel appointee
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Ed Johnson is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Filing false dependents.What are the penalties

Customer Question

How does one report people that claim dependents on their tax refund that in no way shape or form were dependents at any time in their household.?
Submitted: 11 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Ed Johnson replied 11 years ago.


You can report this to the tax fraud address of the IRS.

By the way did this interfere with our ability to file your return?

you suspect or know of an individual or company that is not complying with the tax laws, you may report this activity by completing Form 3949-A. You may fill out Form 3949-A online, print it and mail it to:

Internal Revenue Service
Fresno, CA 93888

If you do not wish to use Form 3949-A, you may send a letter to the address above. Please include the following information, if available:

  • Name and address of the person you are reporting

  • The taxpayer identification number (social security number for an individual or employer identification number for a business)

  • A brief description of the alleged violation, including how you became aware of or obtained the information

  • The years involved

  • The estimated dollar amount of any unreported income

  • Your name, address and daytime telephone number

Although you are not required to identify yourself, it is helpful to do so. Your identity can be kept confidential. You may also be entitled to a reward.

If you were not able to take the deductions on your return because of this, please let me know so I can give you further advice.