How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tammy F. Your Own Question
Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9168
Experience:  Not an active Expert
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Tammy F. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If you are paying an unlicensed daycare provider, can you ...

Customer Question

If you are paying an unlicensed daycare provider, can you claim daycare fees on your taxes? My husbands ex-wife is claiming that she pays her mom (who is unlicensed) $800.00 per month. She is also claiming this amount on her taxes. I am trying to prove that she does not pay this amount.
Submitted: 11 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

Yes. You can pay an unlicensed daycare provider. She will file using her mother's social security number and her mother will have to claim the amount as income and pay applicable taxes on that amount.

Let me know if you still have questions.