How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ed Johnson Your Own Question
Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 10760
Experience:  GPHR Cert; U.S. Treasury Tax Advocacy Panel appointee
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Ed Johnson is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I made less than $5,000 last year. Do I have to pay income ...

Customer Question

I made less than $5,000 last year. Do I have to pay income taxes on this?
Submitted: 11 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Ed Johnson replied 11 years ago.

Dear Emma,

Thanks for the opportunity to respond to this question.

The requirements to file depend to a large degree on your personal circumstances such as:

1. Filing status and age

2. Source or type of income.

3. special considerations.

For the Federal Return:

1. Filing Status

  • Single under 65: 8,200
  • Single 65 or older: 9,450
  • Married filing jointly, under 65: 16,400
  • Married filing jointly, and one spouse is 65 or older: 17,400
  • Married filing jointly, and both are 65 or older: 18,400
  • Married filing separately, any age: 3,200
  • Head of household, under 65: 10,500
  • Head of household, 65 or older: 11,750
  • Qualifying widow(er) with dependent child, under 65: 13,200
  • Qualifying widiow(er) with dependent child, 65 or older: 14,200

2. Earnings

  • You received advanced earned income credi payments from your employer. They are shown on Form W-2 in box 9.
  • Your net earnings from self-employment are at least 400 dollars.
  • You had wages of 108.28 from a church or qualified church-controlled organization that is exempt from employer social security and medicare taxes.

3. Special situations

  • You owe alternative minimum tgax
  • additional tax on a qualified plan including: IRA or other tax favored account:

Note: if the only reason you are filing a return is for this kind of tax, you may file only hte FORM 5329 by itself.

  • You owe Household employment taxes. (if this is the only reason you are filing the return,you can file schedule H by itself)
  • If you had social security and medicasre tax on tips you did not report to your employer.
  • If you had an write-in taxes including: uncollected Social security and Medicare, or RRTA tax on tips you reported to yoru employer; or group-term life insurance and additnoal tax on health savings account distributiosn.
  • Or if you had any recapture taxes.

You can read more about who has to file a return, including more detailed information about Recapture taxes (pages 37, 44, of the 1040 instruction booklet)

Best Regards

Ed Johnson