How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RD Your Own Question
RD, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 8784
Experience:  CPA, MBA, Over 10 yrs of experience in tax planning and business consulting..
Type Your Tax Question Here...
RD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I need to cash out $80,000.00 from my Mutual Fund Portfolio ...

Resolved Question:

I need to cash out $80,000.00 from my Mutual Fund Portfolio to give my son a down payment for a home and debt consolidation. I have had some of the funds since 98 and some are as new as 2004. I cannot use my son's down payment as an investment as it has to show as a "gift" for mortage purposes. How can I do this without getting nailed on taxes in 06. My annual income is only $8000.00 a year. I do have a home that I can deduct the interest from but that is my only deduction. HELP
Submitted: 11 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  RD replied 11 years ago.
You will have to pay capital gain on sale of your Mutual funds. To the extent the gain is long terms(funds held over a year) it will be taxed at 15%. You will have to determine the gain based on the sale price and the cost basis of the portfolio.

The money given to your son will be considered as a gift from you to him.
IRS allows you can to give up to $1,000,000 in gifts, total, in your lifetime, before you start owing the gift tax. (This gift is not per (donee)person but its a per donor limit). So you can make gifts that are worth up to a million bucks during your lifetime without paying the gift tax. . Even if you do not owe a gift tax because you have not reached the $1,000,000 limit, you are still required to file this form if you made a gift that does not qualify as excludable. The IRS needs to keep a running tab of your $1,000,000 lifetime exemption.

Let me know if you have any question.
[email protected]

Please note: This advice is provided with the understanding that all the relevant facts have been provided by you. Any change in facts might affect the advice given and hence may not be relied on in such cases.
RD and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you