How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RD Your Own Question
RD, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 8784
Experience:  CPA, MBA, Over 10 yrs of experience in tax planning and business consulting..
Type Your Tax Question Here...
RD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How many years can you go back to file taxes to receive the ...

This answer was rated:

How many years can you go back to file taxes to receive the interest on your mortage loan and do you have to file in order like 2000 2001 2002 up to 2005.
Im on ssi and always thought the state would just take the money but I m told no that is my money to keep
Presuming that your are trying to get a refund by claiming deductions for mortgage interest and property taxes,

If the IRS owes you a refund, than there is no late filing penalty if you are due a refund. But, You have three years from the original due date to file a tax return and still get a refund. This is called the statute of limitations for claiming a refund.

What that means, in practical terms, is that right now you can still file your 2002 tax return and get a refund. You have until April 15, 2006, to file your 2002 return.

Let me know if you have any question.
[email protected]

Please note: This advice is provided with the understanding that all the relevant facts have been provided by you. Any change in facts might affect the advice given and hence may not be relied on in such cases.

RD and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you