How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29569
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Capital Gains taxes in state of Montana

This answer was rated:

Hi, My extended family purchased some raw land in Montana 10 yrs ago for $40,000. The plan was to develope the land for our family gatherings. That didn't happen, now we have an offer of $80,000 for the land. We're aware of the 1031 tax advantage but want to know what the capital gains would be on the situation. Thank you for your time and knowledge in advance.

For use 1031 tax deffer option the property has to be treated as for business or investment - not personal use.

The gain from sale of the property will be $80,000 -$40,000 = $40,000 and will be taxed at reduced capital gain rate 5% or 15% based on your income. the taxes will be between $2000 and $6000 + Montana taxes

Lev and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
please let me know if you still need any help