How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ed Johnson Your Own Question
Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 10760
Experience:  GPHR Cert; U.S. Treasury Tax Advocacy Panel appointee
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Ed Johnson is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I received a Schedule K-1 for inheritance money I have ...

Customer Question

I received a Schedule K-1 for inheritance money I have not received. Do I have to amend my 2005 tax return to include this as income?
Submitted: 11 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Ed Johnson replied 11 years ago.

Dear bug,

Generally, inheritance money is not taxed, however income derived from an inheritance is.

If for somereason a portion of your inheritance is considered taxable, the administrator will provide you with a Schedule K-1. A Schedule K-1 is similar to a Form 1099 in that it tells you how much income you have to report on your individual tax return. Income reported on Schedule K-1 is reported on Schedule E, which should be attached to your individual return. Principal received from the estate is not reported on your individual return.

If you have already filed your return, you will now have to file an amended return.