How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Wallstreet Esq. Your Own Question
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 585
Experience:  10 years experience
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Wallstreet Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i have 1099b how should i put it in my tax return

Customer Question

have 1099b how should i put it in my tax return, i have received it from my broker
Submitted: 11 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  RD replied 11 years ago.
You will report the sale of stocks on Sch D, Form 1040. You will also have to enter the cost basis of the stocks sold.(this will not be on Form 1099B)

Are you doing your taxes manually or with a software?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
i am using a software.
Actually, i have 1099b for stock options. In the software how should i fill it.
Expert:  RD replied 11 years ago.
Are these stock options that you exercised?

The "sales price" should be shown on the Schedule D as reflected on the 1099-B from the brokerage firm. Your "basis" in the stock is the exercise price plus the amount that you had to include in income plus the fees/commissions that were charged.

Can you provide additional detail and I will be glad to help you?