How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RD Your Own Question
RD, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 8784
Experience:  CPA, MBA, Over 10 yrs of experience in tax planning and business consulting..
Type Your Tax Question Here...
RD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What is the correct way to file Form 1096 with the IRS?

Resolved Question:

I need to know the correct way to fill out a 1096 to send to the IRS.

Optional Information: 
Lancaster, Pennsylvania

Submitted: 11 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  RD replied 11 years ago.

The 1096 is a summary of information forms being sent to the IRS. You need one 1096 for each type of information form you have issued.

use only one Form 1096 for all of your 1099-MISCs.

1.Type your name, address, phone number, and either your Employer Identification Number (EIN) or Social Security Number. If you do not have an EIN, you should use your Social Security Number.

2. Check the box at the bottom to indicate the type of form being filed. Check only one box. For example, if you are filing 1099-MISCs, check the box for 1099-MISCs.

3. Type the total number of forms on line 3 which you are issuing with this 1096. For example, write "5" on line 3 if you are issuing five 1099-MISCs.

4. Type the total of any federal income taxes you withheld from payments on the forms for which this 1096 is being issued. Put this on line 4.

5. Type the total amount of payments on the forms for which this 1096 is being issued. Put this on line 5.

6. Sign your name, title, and date before mailing the completed form to the IRS center nearest you. Addresses are on the second page of Form 1096.

Let me know if you have any questions.

RD and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you