How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ed Johnson Your Own Question
Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 10760
Experience:  GPHR Cert; U.S. Treasury Tax Advocacy Panel appointee
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Ed Johnson is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

do I have to file a 1099r this year or do I have 3 years to file it

This answer was rated:

i recieved a 1099-r for money i pulled out, if i dont file it this year i can get 5,000 back in taxes, however if i file it this year i only get 1700, i am wondering if i can file it next year without penalty

Optional Information:
limon, Colorado

Already Tried:

Dear 1935 ford,

You have 3 years in which to file a return to claim a refund. However, if you owe taxes, then you will incur penalties and interest.

Waiting another year will not increase your refund. You have to file each year separately.

Ed Johnson and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
i have 22786 gross distribution can i just file it on next years tax returns?
If you file the return next year, you would pay penalties and interest on any tax owed. If you received the distribution this year, it MUST go on this year's return. Even if you leaves it off, the IRS will catch it