How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ed Johnson Your Own Question
Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 10760
Experience:  GPHR Cert; U.S. Treasury Tax Advocacy Panel appointee
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Ed Johnson is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a merchant mariner what tax deductions can I get

Resolved Question:

I am a licensed chief engineer on a river boat pushing comodies 30 days on and 30 days off a live on towboat.

Optional Information:
Advance, Missouri

Already Tried:

Submitted: 11 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Ed Johnson replied 11 years ago.

Dear cheveyman,

In addition to the same itemized deductions and tax credits that you might qualify for, the following link provides a tax work sheet especially designed for merchant marines or sailors.

Some tax deductions you might want to consider are travel expenses, union dues, uniform expenses if one is required, specialized equipment, licenses and fees, job required medical exams, etc.

The document found at the following link is provided by Martin Kapp, CPA, EA,

I recommend that you also take a look at the following IRS publication 463, Travel, Intertainment, Gift and Car expenses. It provides several rules and guidelines including limitations on which expenses you might be able to deduct.

Ed Johnson and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you