Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

When do W-2s have to be post marked by?

Customer Question
Do W-2s have to be...

Do W-2s have to be post marked by January 31st? If so, what happens if they are not sent out by that date?

Submitted: 11 years ago.Category: Tax
2/10/2006
Tax Professional: Tammy F., Not an active Expert replied 11 years ago
Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert

You should receive a Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement, from each of your employers for use in preparing your federal tax return. Employers must furnish this record of 2005 earnings and withheld taxes no later than January 31, 2006 (if mailed, allow a few days for delivery).

If you do not receive your Form W-2, contact your employer to find out if and when the W-2 was mailed. If it was mailed, it may have been returned to your employer because of an incorrect address. After contacting your employer, allow a reasonable amount of time for your employer to resend or to issue the W-2.

If you still do not receive your W-2 by February 15th, contact the IRS for assistance at 1-***-***-****. [EM1] [SY2] When you call, have the following information handy:

• The employer's name and complete address, including zip code, the employer’s identification number (if known), and telephone number,
• Your name and address, including zip code, Social Security number, and telephone number; and
• An estimate of the wages you earned, the federal income tax withheld, and the dates you began and ended employment.

If you misplaced your W-2, contact your employer. Your employer can replace the lost form with a “reissued statement.” Be aware that your employer is allowed to charge you a fee for providing you with a new W-2.

You still must file your tax return on time even if you do not receive your Form W-2. If you cannot get a W-2 by the tax-filing deadline, you may use Form 4852, Substitute for Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement, but it will delay any refund due while the information is verified.

If you receive a corrected W-2 after your return is filed and the information it contains does not match the income or withheld tax that you reported on your return, you must file an amended return on Form 1040X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return.

Forms 4852 and 1040X and their instructions are available on the IRS Web site,

IRS.gov or by calling 1-800-TAX-FORM (1-***-***-****).

Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert

What penalty does a company have if they did not send out w-2's before the 31st?

Unless the business is just completely unethical, they probably sent yours out and it is just lost in the mail.

Penalties vary, depending on if they have reported wages paid, FICA, SS, etc.

Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert

I worked for a company that closed our office and moved the corporate to Ohio. The office I worked in had 10 people and not 1 of us has received our W-2s I know for a fact that they weren't sent out because as of last Friday, we were told they were still sitting at ADP (check place).

If ADP is their processor, they are pretty good about getting them out on time UNLESS they are waiting for more info from your employer to finish them.

I would wait until the 15th and then call the number that I gave you in the first post and get the IRS to help you get it.

Tammy F.
Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert