Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I got married last year and changed my name. My W-2 was ...

Customer Question
I got married last year...
I got married last year and changed my name. My W-2 was issued in my maiden name. I asked my employer to correct it. They told me it was okay, but the W-2 form says to ask for a correction. Who is right?

Already Tried:
google research

Submitted: 11 years ago.Category: Tax
2/6/2006
Tax Professional: Steven Weinstein, Esq, Tax Attorney replied 11 years ago
Steven Weinstein, Esq
Steven Weinstein, Esq, Tax Attorney
YOu really do not need to worry about. The most important thing on your w-2 is a correct social security number.
I appreciate your answer.

What I don't understand is the following:

The back of the W-2 states -

"Corrections. If your name, SSN, or address is incorrect, correct Copies B, C, and 2 and ask your employer to correct your employment record. Be sure to ask the employer to file Form W-2c, Corrected Wage and Tax Statement, with the Social Security Administration (SSA) to correct any name, SSN, or money amount error reported to the SSA on Form W-2."

Further, this website details why it is important.

http://www.irs.gov/instructions/i1040gi/ar02.html#d0e12419

Googling found this option, if your employer refuses to make the correction.

http://www.irs.gov/faqs/faq1-15.html

If your attempts to have an incorrect Form W-2 (PDF) corrected by your employer are unsuccessful and it is after February 15th, contact the IRS at(NNN) NNN-NNNN An IRS representative can initiate a Form W-2 (PDF) complaint. Form 4598, Form W-2 or 1099 Not Received or Incorrect, will be sent to the employer and a copy will be sent to you along with Form 4852 (PDF), Substitute for Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement, or Form 1099-R, Distributions from Pensions, Annuities, Retirement or Profit-Sharing Plans, IRAs, Insurance Contracts, etc. The copy that the employer receives will advise him or her of the employer's responsibilities to provide a correct Form W-2 (PDF) and of the penalties for failure to do so.

Why all of the preceding if it isn't such a big deal? The W-2 itself states that the employer should file a W-2c. The IRS website states that the employer is subject to liability if they don't file a W-2c.

I recognize the IRS will probably track my return information by SSN, but according to at least one of the links I posted there is at least the possibility of Social Security earnings not attaching to the name/SSN.

I guess my underlying question is: in the face of all of these cautionary documents (including the W-2 itself) -- why is there nothing saying its okay to let it go besides your word and the word of my employer?
Well, the reality is you had a name change not that your employer put down the wrong w-2. You can absolutely have your employer change it for you. But what I am telling you is if thats a problem or the employer just does not think its necessary. Its not a big deal, the IRS inputs everything by SS#. Your w-2 will get logged just fine.

Just tell your employer would like your name change reflecting properly thoughout 06.
Steven Weinstein, Esq
Steven Weinstein, Esq, Tax Attorney
Steven Weinstein, Esq
Steven Weinstein, Esq
Steven Weinstein, Esq, Tax Attorney