Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

when are 1099s due to employees

Customer Question
as an employer preparing 1099's...
as an employer preparing 1099's when are these due to the employees? and when are these due to the IRS?

Optional Information:
California

Already Tried:
google

Submitted: 12 years ago.Category: Tax
1/19/2006
Tax Professional: Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks, Master Tax Advisor, Enrolled Agent replied 12 years ago
Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks
Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks, Master Tax Advisor, Enrolled Agent

You should issue w-2s to your employees and have them available to the employees no later than 1/31/06.

Self employed persons who work for your business as nonemployees will have 1099s issued and these, too are to be made available no later than 1/31/06. You must issue 1099 if you paid 600 or more during the tax year.

Be very careful that your workers are not actually employees by reviewing Pub 15. If they are employees rather than self employed, you are responsible to pay the employer's share of ss/medicare tax and may not issue Form 1099.

Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks
Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks