How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Mr Tax Tips Your Own Question
Mr Tax Tips
Mr Tax Tips, MS-Tax Graduate Student
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 13
Experience:  Masters of Taxation
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Mr Tax Tips is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If my spouse has abandoned our marriage, can I file

Resolved Question:

If my spouse has abandoned our marriage, can I file head of household?
Submitted: 11 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Mr Tax Tips replied 11 years ago.
Expert:  Mr Tax Tips replied 11 years ago.
If your child lives with you you may qualify for head of household status if you, though married, file a separate return, your spouse has not lived in your home during the last six months of the tax year, and you provided more than half the cost of maintaining as your home a household that was the main home for a qualifying child for more than one half of your tax year.

If there are no children you can either file a joint income tax return or married filing separately. The income tax filing of married filing separately typically results in the highest level of taxes being paid.

*Jonacpa helped in this posting. (Thank you)
Mr Tax Tips and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you