Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

How to do a company TIN search through the IRS.

Customer Question
I am trying to see...

I am trying to see if a company has a Tax ID number at the IRS.

Submitted: 12 years ago.Category: Tax
8/16/2005
Tax Professional: Shauna Johnson, Experienced Researcher replied 12 years ago
Shauna Johnson
Shauna Johnson, Experienced Researcher

My understanding is that for privacy reasons, EIN & other TIN information is not available on the IRS online site. I believe that they try to take the same care to protect privacy as they would a SSN.

There are a couple of options though. You can call the IRS directly and explain why you are seeking that company's TIN. I can't guarantee that they'll be able to provide the information that you're requesting if you are not the business owner, but if you are willing to provide your information and explanation, there is a possibility that they can help.

Secondly, you can do a search on this site:
http://www.freeerisa.com/Extras/EINFinder.asp?mode=SEARCH

The main link would just be at: www.freeerisa.com

I believe that the site requires that you register your information, but should allow you to search for free. I would highly suggest going this route first, but if you don't have success then you may want to just try calling the IRS directly. I'm not positive, but I believe only certain states release the EIN information.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions! I'm more than happy to help!

This doesn't really help. I went to the website and put in a company that I know has the TIN and it came up with a different company and location.
There has got to be a way to verify a company name that is in the IRS data base.
The government won't do business with you unless you are in the data base.

That is the only free site that I am aware of that you can search through online. If it was not helpful for you, then I would have to refer you back to the suggestion of calling the IRS directly.

Shauna Johnson
Shauna Johnson
Shauna Johnson, Experienced Researcher