Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

inheritance tax for resident aliens (non-citizens)

Customer Question
My wife and I are...
My wife and I are both resident aliens living (permanently) in the US. I have heard that non-citizens may face inheritance taxes on the death of their spouse. Is this true for resident aliens?
Submitted: 12 years ago.Category: Tax
7/30/2005
Tax Professional: RR,
 replied 12 years ago
RR
The federal estate tax would apply to a permanent resident. The issue you seem to be talking about is where the assets are passed to a non-citizen spouse. In the usual US citizen case, there is a marital deduction available but this is not available where assets are passed to a non-citizen spouse. There are legitimate ways to address this issue, for example through a qualified domestic trust.

Of course, the estate tax won't apply to all estates. You can obtain details about the estate tax and the rates from IRS publication 950.
RR
RR
RR
RR