How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RR Your Own Question
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 28
Type Your Tax Question Here...
RR is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

inheritance tax for resident aliens (non-citizens)

Resolved Question:

My wife and I are both resident aliens living (permanently) in the US. I have heard that non-citizens may face inheritance taxes on the death of their spouse. Is this true for resident aliens?
Submitted: 11 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  RR replied 11 years ago.
The federal estate tax would apply to a permanent resident. The issue you seem to be talking about is where the assets are passed to a non-citizen spouse. In the usual US citizen case, there is a marital deduction available but this is not available where assets are passed to a non-citizen spouse. There are legitimate ways to address this issue, for example through a qualified domestic trust.

Of course, the estate tax won't apply to all estates. You can obtain details about the estate tax and the rates from IRS publication 950.
RR and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you