Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

How can I get a copy of a lien release

Customer Question
I had a lien on...
I had a lien on my house and it was paid and I would like to get a copy of the release
Submitted: 12 years ago.Category: Tax
6/6/2005
Tax Professional: Christopher Phelps, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 12 years ago
Christopher Phelps
Christopher Phelps, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Ordinarily the IRS will issue a "Release of the Notice of Federal Tax Lien" either within 30 days after you satisfy the tax due (including interest and other additions) by paying the debt or by having it adjusted, or within 30 days after they accept a bond that you submit, guaranteeing payment of the debt.

In addition, you must pay all fees that a state or other jurisdiction charges to file and release the lien. These fees will be added to the amount you owe. Refer to Publication 1450 (PDF), Request for Release of Federal Tax Lien.

If you have not received the above notice within the time specified, call the phone number on the top of the page of the original Lien Notice to get the status.

If you are getting shuffled around or the IRS collection department office is non-responsive, you may want to contact the IRS Taxpayer Advocate:

You may call the Taxpayer Advocate Service toll-free telephone number: 1-877-777-4778 or TTY/TTD: 1-800-829-4059 or call, write or visit the local taxpayer advocate office for your state. A list of Taxpayer Advocate Service offices may be found in Publication 1546 , The Taxpayer Advocate Service of the IRS, which may be downloaded and printed.

Christopher Phelps
Christopher Phelps
Christopher Phelps