How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask R. Greg Paszkiewicz Your Own Question
R. Greg Paszkiewicz
R. Greg Paszkiewicz, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 357
Experience:  9 years preparing tax returns - Marietta, GA
Type Your Tax Question Here...
R. Greg Paszkiewicz is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Form IT-201 or IT-203

Resolved Question:

I am filing my taxes. My wife moved here from out of the country in may 2004. I lived in NYC for the whole year. Do i file a part year form(IT-203) since my wife lived here for only part of the year or do I file a full year form(IT-201) since I lived here for the whole year? Further more there is a form 360.1 which is for peaple who moved in or out of NYC during the year. Do I need to file that form? Does it make a difference who I put as the spouse on my return? If i put my name as the spouse and my wife as the main one? Are there any laws as to who has to be the spouse?
Submitted: 12 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  R. Greg Paszkiewicz replied 12 years ago.
You cna either file separate New York returns (1 PY and 1 FY) or a joint return as if you were both full year residents.
Customer: replied 12 years ago.
Reply to R. Greg Paszkiewicz's Post: Which way do you think will be more beneficial. Two separate or one joint
Expert:  R. Greg Paszkiewicz replied 12 years ago.
Its been a couple of years since i had to do a New York, if you had a tax software program it would be fairly easy to compare. Sometimes the tax booklet will also give you a clue, it may say tax is usually lower filing one way or the other, but the only way to know is to do it both ways.
R. Greg Paszkiewicz and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Related Tax Questions