R. Greg Paszkiewicz
R. Greg Paszkiewicz, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  9 years preparing tax returns - Marietta, GA
100961

Form IT-201 or IT-203

I am filing my taxes. My wife moved here from out of the country in may 2004. I lived in NYC for the whole year. Do i file a part year form(IT-203) since my wife lived here for only part of the year or do I file a full year form(IT-201) since I lived here for the whole year? Further more there is a form 360.1 which is for peaple who moved in or out of NYC during the year. Do I need to file that form? Does it make a difference who I put as the spouse on my return? If i put my name as the spouse and my wife as the main one? Are there any laws as to who has to be the spouse?
Category: Tax
Expert:  R. Greg Paszkiewicz replied 12 years ago.
You cna either file separate New York returns (1 PY and 1 FY) or a joint return as if you were both full year residents.
Customer: replied 12 years ago.
Reply to R. Greg Paszkiewicz's Post: Which way do you think will be more beneficial. Two separate or one joint
Its been a couple of years since i had to do a New York, if you had a tax software program it would be fairly easy to compare. Sometimes the tax booklet will also give you a clue, it may say tax is usually lower filing one way or the other, but the only way to know is to do it both ways.