How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask R. Greg Paszkiewicz Your Own Question
R. Greg Paszkiewicz
R. Greg Paszkiewicz, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 357
Experience:  9 years preparing tax returns - Marietta, GA
Type Your Tax Question Here...
R. Greg Paszkiewicz is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

what if your employer does not send your 1099s by january 31st

Resolved Question:

i am a 1099 employee and to date i have yet to recieve a 1099.
Submitted: 12 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  R. Greg Paszkiewicz replied 12 years ago.
You should call the employer and ask for a copy. Regardless of whether you receive it or not you are required to report the income and the 1099 form itself is not required for filing your return so if you know the amount you can file without it.
R. Greg Paszkiewicz and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 12 years ago.
Reply to R. Greg Paszkiewicz's Post: i am unsure of the amount. I have on numerous occasions asked for my 1099. If I state an income that is under what I was actually paid, how would that affect me. He is telling me that he mailed it and filed it. What if my claim is inaccurate with what he files?
Expert:  R. Greg Paszkiewicz replied 12 years ago.
If you misstated the 1099 amount presumably the IRS would catch it and adjust your return accordingly. All you need to know is the amount i fail to see why he couldn't just tell you that over the phone. I suppose it is possible he is reporting an incorrect higher amount to lower his taxes and therefore doesn't want you to know what he reported. I would go back through your deposit slips or bank statement for the year and see if you can get to the number that way.