R. Greg Paszkiewicz
R. Greg Paszkiewicz, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  9 years preparing tax returns - Marietta, GA
100961

what if your employer does not send your 1099s by january 31st

i am a 1099 employee and to date i have yet to recieve a 1099.
Category: Tax
Expert:  R. Greg Paszkiewicz replied 12 years ago.
You should call the employer and ask for a copy. Regardless of whether you receive it or not you are required to report the income and the 1099 form itself is not required for filing your return so if you know the amount you can file without it.
Customer: replied 12 years ago.
Reply to R. Greg Paszkiewicz's Post: i am unsure of the amount. I have on numerous occasions asked for my 1099. If I state an income that is under what I was actually paid, how would that affect me. He is telling me that he mailed it and filed it. What if my claim is inaccurate with what he files?
If you misstated the 1099 amount presumably the IRS would catch it and adjust your return accordingly. All you need to know is the amount i fail to see why he couldn't just tell you that over the phone. I suppose it is possible he is reporting an incorrect higher amount to lower his taxes and therefore doesn't want you to know what he reported. I would go back through your deposit slips or bank statement for the year and see if you can get to the number that way.