Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Can I claim My daughter even if she files her taxes

i want to claim my...
i want to claim my daugther on my taxes.She works but i still support her.she dosnt pay rent or utility bills.can i still claim her/ she will have file to she made about 13,000 this year.

ps i claim head of household
                       [email protected]
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/7/2005
Cary
Cary, Accounting student
could you give me a little more info please. such as:
her age
is she a student
or anything else about her
Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert

To be claimed as a dependant, your daughter should have an income of less than $3100 per year or be a full time student for at least 5 months of the year.

If she's not a student and she makes this much, you cannot get an exemption for her.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Thank you for answer my question.im still head of
house hold and made over 54,000 this year after what is allo for single it bring me down to 46,00
federal holding 7,40.00 im going have to pay at lease little over a thousand is there any thing i can do to keep from paying?she was a student
she got-out of high school this pass June so i can cliam her?If so that mean she cant claim herself on her tax return.

[email protected]

If she is under the age of 19 then the gross income limit does not apply.

There are two exceptions to the gross income test. If your child is under age 19 at the end of the year, or is a full–time student under the age of 24 at the end of the year, the gross income test does not apply.

So, if she was under the age of 19 at the end of 2004, you can claim her as a dependant no matter how much money she made.

She will also file her own taxes but needs to mark the box on her return that says that she is a dependant for someone else.

Let me know if you still don't understand.

Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Thank you for your help i think i understand ive allways done my own taxies (short form)ive never had to pay this helps knowing what you can and cannot do.last year when i did her taxies i claim
and i claim herself on hers and they did send her a letter stating that i shouldnt had claim her no
pentities for dong this, that whyi neede some answer this year.Thank you again.
Tammy F.
Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert