Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

how can I claim home repairs on my taxes

Customer Question
home repairs...
home repairs
Submitted: 12 years ago.Category: Tax
1/26/2005
Tax Professional: Jon Andrews, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 12 years ago
Jon Andrews
Jon Andrews, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Repairs to your residence are not deductible. Depending on the nature of the work done, they may be an addition to your cost basis when you sell the house and are trying to determine the gain or loass.

If the repairs are done to a rental property, they are deducted on Schedule E.

[email protected] 
Tax Professional: JBE, CPA, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 12 years ago
JBE, CPA
JBE, CPA, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Home repairs aren't deductible as jonacpa indicated. If the repairs were related to the hurricanes this past summer you may be able to claim a casualty loss. I have several clients in that situation.

JBE, CPA
JBE, CPA
JBE, CPA