How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jon Andrews Your Own Question
Jon Andrews
Jon Andrews, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3118
Experience:  I deal with all levels of tax planning and controversy - from the ordinary to the complex.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Jon Andrews is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Breast Implant Rupture Surgery-$7000- tax deduction

Customer Question

Happy New Year! I had ruptured breast implants which i had to have removed and payed over $7000. between that and other medical ecpenses over the year, I am well over $9000.My income is $130,000 Net...can I use this as a tax deduction even though it is cosmetic but necessary?
Also, I just got divorced 6 months ago (2004), should I file jointly or single? He makes $85k/year.
Submitted: 12 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Jon Andrews replied 12 years ago.

Assuming that the rupture made the surgery a medical necessity, the cost would be deductible. Unfortunately, you are going to lose most of the deductibility due to your gross income. Medical expenses are deductible to the extent that they exceed 7.5% of your adjusted gross income. The excess is then added to other itemized deductions. BotXXXXX XXXXXne is - you are likely to get some benefit, but not a huge amount.

Your filing status is determined by your marital status as of 12/31/04. If you were not married on that date, you will not be able to file jointly. You will file as "single" or "head of household" depending on your other circumstances.

If you need further information, clarification, or assistance, please let me know.

[email protected]