Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Is there a limit on how long the IRS can hold your refund

Customer Question
Is there a limit on...
Is there a limit on how long the IRS can hold your tax refund?   I filed last January, and have not received my refund - every time I call, they tell me the funds have been released, but have a hold on them.   I’m entitled to my $2653 refund, and have no explaination of why I have not received my funds.
Submitted: 13 years ago.Category: Tax
11/6/2004
Tax Professional: RogerRoy1960, Registered Tax Preparer replied 13 years ago
RogerRoy1960
RogerRoy1960, Registered Tax Preparer

the IRS has 8 weeks to send your refund, if they dont they should send you a reply letter explaning the reason for the delay....go to this site and check the status of your return.........click on individuals and follow the refund status,,,,,,,,,you just need the filing status your social security and the exact amount of the refund.

Government Guide: http://www.governmentguide.com/ams/clickThruRedirect.adp?55080116,31157380,http://www.irs.gov/

Tax Professional: Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks, Master Tax Advisor, Enrolled Agent replied 13 years ago
Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks
Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks, Master Tax Advisor, Enrolled Agent

This is a common answer by IRS when your refund has been sent to pay another debt(offset) and they no longer have a refund for you remaining.

Contact IRS at 1-800-829-1040 and request a printout of your account.  This will show all payments into your tax account and all payments out of the account.  Any refund due to you that has been held for an offset will show on this list.

Contact the agency to which your refund has been redirected for information about any problems you may have with their confiscation of your refund.  Common agencies include:  state tax due, back child support, back alimony payments, delinquent student loans, overpaid unemployment, overpaid welfare benefits, etc.

I'm 21, 1st semester in College was this fall.   Newly married (2 weeks) - At the time of my return filing, I owed nothing to anyone.   I don't understand why they would be holding it for so long! Especially when they say it was released, but has a hold on it?

Any explanation of why the refund is being "held" will have been sent to the address on the filed return.  If you moved, this information would not have been forwarded to your new address. 

Your return may be under audit if you claimed your own exemption and another person also claimed you(your parents?).  You would not be eligible to claim yourself even if your parents decided not to claim you IF THEY QUALIFIED TO CLAIM YOU.

Did you have any driving tickets or parking tickets.  These are also fees that can be taken from your refund.  By calling IRS at 1-800-829-1040, you can have the exact reason explained to you.  Always ask for a written notice to be sent to you as a follow up to your phone conversation to protect yourself.

There are too many possibilities that CAN have a delay on your refund to explain here.  Please let me know if I can help with this process.

Ok, I've got them mailing me a printout. :)
 Contact me if you need help interpreting that printout.
Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks
Sandi Hargrove, SkyHawks