Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

S Corp Taxation

Customer Question
If my S-Corp owes a...
If my S-Corp owes a creditor $1.5M and I negotiate a settlement with him where I give him $500,000 and we cancel the remaining $1M of debt - what are the Tax implications to me and to the creditor?
Submitted: 13 years ago.Category: Tax
10/13/2004
Tax Professional: Jon Andrews, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 13 years ago
Jon Andrews
Jon Andrews, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
This is a situation that I have dealt with on several occasions. However, I am not willing to post the information publicly for someone who has not yet made their deposit with ExpertAsk. If you make your deposit, I will follow up with you until you are comfortable with the response.

Thanks, [email protected]
Tax implications for you:
The cancellation of debt (COD) income will be a separately stated item on your K-1. Normally, when an S Corp has inside debt in excess of the value of hard assets, it (the S Corp) has generated tax losses that the shareholder has not been able to deduct due to the "At-Risk Limitations". If that is the case for you, the COD income will create basis allowing you to deduct previously suspended losses and should not give rise to any actual net taxable income at the personal level because those losses will offset the the COD income. If you do not have suspended losses, your next best approach is the "personal insolvency" test. To the extent that you are insolvent (liabilities exceed asset value) at the personal level, the COD is not taxable to you. If neither of those two situations applies to your case, let me know and we can explore other options.

Tax implications to the creditor:
If the creditor is in the business of lending money, i.e. a bank, etc, they will have a business bad debt in the amount of $1,000,000 that will be a deduction for them. If the creditor is not in the business of lending money, they likely will have a non-business bad debt which is treated as a short-term capital loss. Depending on their specific situation, this could be a problem since capital losses have limitations on deductibility.

If you need further clarification or want to provide additional details for more specific answers, please let me know.
[email protected]

Jon Andrews