Subaru

Have Subaru questions? Ask a Subaru mechanic and get answers ASAP

When the Subaru Nav Systems start acting up--by only coming…

when the Subaru Nav Systems...
when the Subaru Nav Systems start acting up--by only coming on when it wants to but does work perfectly when it does turn on (I start the car and the display screen lights up and shows me the monthly calendar and it's highlighted with the correct day of the month...versus starting the car and display doesn't light up automatically and no matter what button you push-screen stays dark--if battery reboot doesn't work-it's not a loose wire somewhere that could be found??? Or do you just know it's only a matter of time before it never comes on again? And can a general car mechanic install a new one if I purchase it or should I definitely have an authorized Subaru dealership replace it? I'm just trying figure out the least expensive way to have a reliable Nav system
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/22/2019
Subaru Mechanic: anthony proulx, ASE Certified Technician replied 3 years ago
anthony proulx
anthony proulx, ASE Certified Technician

Hi welcome to just answer. Anyone can install your navi unit as long as they have the correct tools to remove the plastic trim and audio unit. Its a very simple job to do but taking your time and not cracking the trim panels is the hardest part

This Outback LL Bean Edition has 166,000 miles on it. The online price for the Nav that goes with a 2008 model is listed at $1,124.00 and then sales tax...I don't know how much someone would charge to correctly install. And I couldn't get a price over the phone from the Subaru dealerships in my area on the cost to replace the system. They all want me to bring the car in...The car looks very good and drives good...but do you think Replacing the Nav is a reasonable investment in a vehicle with this many miles on it? When is it time to consider another Subaru with less mileage? (I hate car payments though LOL)

If it was me ? No way would i spend 1200 for nav when almost every single phone now has navi in it. If yours doesnt then a good garmin will cost you 100.00. You can buy a reman unit from ebay or a outside vendor but like you said then the cost to install. Our dealer will charge 250.00 to install it. Long story short, use your phone or get a garmin lol

oK you're right. My go to app is WAZE for the most accurate GPS--whoever designed that system needs to sell it to every major car manufacturer for their Nav systems! Last question...whats a realistic expectation for how many more miles this Outback will go before it becomes cost prohibitive to repair? (I need to plan for the future and start setting some dollars aside!)

Biggest issue with outbacks are the timing belts and waterpumps, They are supposed to be replaced at 100,000 miles and that job will cost over 3,000.00. If that was replaced then you have a long time left before anything major SHOULD happen

anthony proulx