Subaru

Have Subaru questions? Ask a Subaru mechanic and get answers ASAP

I have a 2000 Subaru Outback. I have new motor mounts, a new…

Customer Question
I have a 2000 Subaru...
I have a 2000 Subaru Outback. I have new motor mounts, a new transmission mount, and I want to know what the torque values are supposed to be for the pitch roll stop (dogbone) to make sure it is tight enough. Also, maybe you know if the Group N dogbone will work on my car? I can buy it on Amazon and try it to see if it's the right length I guess. Anyway, I am still chasing down a vibration issue that is intermittent. It's not the idle or fuel system as I did a pressure test on the fuel system, changed the fuel filter (just in case), and started using Tecron gas. So the performance of the vehicle has increased, although I still get this vibration problem every so often. I changed out the front axles with non-OEM axles about 7 months ago and they never made any vibration at all, so I don't suspect that to be the problem either. I have yet to look for a vacuum leak. But first, I would like to take care of the 'dogbone' to eliminate it from the list. Can you give me the torque values? And I have an Outback not an STI/WRX. The vibration only occurs when the car is in gear and I have the brake pedal pressed like at a dead stop at a stop sign or traffic light...
Submitted: 23 days ago.Category: Subaru
5/30/2018
Subaru Mechanic: peterpete190, Auto Technician replied 23 days ago
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today. In some cases, I may need more info to assist better. I apologize for any delay.
I try to be here most weekdays and some weekends. If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

You can purchase the correct mount from the link below for less than $30.They call this the pitching stopper mount.

https://www.carid.com/oe-replacement-part-number-41040-ac000.html

Below in the link is the location of the bolts and their torque specifications

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bzkbdbdot3o6uu2/p-05-30.png?dl=0

T1: 49 ± 5 Nm (5.0 ± 0.5 kg-m, 36.2 ± 3.6 ft. lbs.)
T2: 57 ± 10 Nm (5.8 ± 1.0 kg-m, 42 ± 7 ft. lbs.)

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above). You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question. I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks, Pete

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Ti and T2 are what? The front and rear bolts? Which is which? And the torque values are 36 and 42 or should I try and get it a bit tighter with the +/- suggestion? Finally, should I take it off and reinstall it to look at the rubber inside the mount to see if it's in good shape before I just retorque the bolts? and finally, do you know if a GROUP N 'dogbone' would fit my car, as I hear they are stiffer... Also, they make a polyurethane insert for the transmission mount. Is that a good idea as well to try to reduce as much vibration as I can?
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
The part they sell on Carid doesn't seem to be as beefy as the ones for the WRX, so do I have to go with that part or do the ones for the WRX fit?
Customer reply replied 23 days ago
T1 is toward the front of the motor and t2 near the firewall, correct?

Yes front and rear and the second link I sent shows which bolt is T1 and which is T2. I would go with the exact torque specifications. I would take a look at it off and see if the rubber is cracked or wore out with it needing to be replaced. I do not see on my end that the GROUP N would fit. You can usually contact a dealers parts department and they can check this for you free of charge to be sure. The polyurethane is a better-made component and would hold up stronger and allot longer.

I would go with the mount required for your model unless the WRX will fit in its spot then you could use it. Look at yours to see if it has room for a beefier dogbone mount and if it does then you could go with the beefier one.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time, this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed. Your 5-star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Ok, so all done with that. It looked fine. So eliminating that piece, I want to retorque the motor mounts and the transmission mount bolts. Can you give me the torque specs on those please? Finally, if I were to do this do I need to drive my car up on ramps in my garage to make it easier? And if and when I try and add that spacer for the transmission mount, will i need to jack up the tranny to do that, and can I do that in my own garage or would it have to be on a lift?

I don't show all of these specifications myself.Let's open this question up for others here to see if anyone else can help further.

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Ok, should I still rate you?