Subaru

Have Subaru questions? Ask a Subaru mechanic and get answers ASAP

Just had my Legacy 30K service last week, everything looked…

Customer Question
Just had my Legacy...

Just had my Legacy 30K service last week, everything looked super and they changed out various fluids. Since then, I have an intermittent problem when I put it in park and turn off the engine, then open the door. I get the pinging sound as if I opened the door while the engine is still running. Not all the time, Wondering if a sensor got out of whack during the service? The car is still under warranty.

Mechanic's Assistant: Which particular sensor are you asking about? And have any trouble codes been triggered?

No, just the sound, and if I turn the engine back on, and jiggle the transmission a bit, and turn it back off again, it fixes itself most times.

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Legacy?

2016

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Legacy yourself? What have you tried so far?

No, dealer serviced.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No, just wondering if the service could have put something out of whack, or coincidental.

Submitted: 20 days ago.Category: Subaru
5/30/2018
Subaru Mechanic: Danny, ASE Certified Technician replied 20 days ago
Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician

It's just a coincidence. Next time it happens, try just leaving the door open and then giggling the ignition key around all over the place, maybe turn it back on and off again a few times and see if you can get it to stop that way.

This is the way that system functions, when you insert the ignition key into the ignition lock cylinder, it pushes a small dowel inward toward the river door, into a button in the electrical portion of the ignition switch. This is the "key still in ignition switch" which I totally made up a name for because I've never heard it called anything lol. Anyway, what's going on is that portion of the ignition switch is sticking in even though the mechanical dowel in the lock cylinder has retracted OR the mechanical portion hasn't actually retracted.

What you should do is try to lube the ignition lock cylinder with graphite and then insert the key repeatedly to try to free that mechanical dowel up.

IF that doesn't fix it, you need to disassemble the steering column trim and remove the electrical portion of the ignition switch, and see whether or not the mechanical portion is sticking out into the button in the electrical switch, or if when you use a tool to push the button in manually, the button is staying stuck in. Use silicon spray or white lithium grease in the electrical portion to try to free that button up so that it doesn't stay stuck in.

If you can't get the button to move in and out easily then replace the electronic portion of the ignition switch. If the mechanical dowel is sticking out after removing the key, now that you have the electrical part out you can possibly lube it up better from the switch side, and I would use lithium grease for this. IF you can't get that to stop sticking out you'll need to get another ignition lock cylinder from the dealership and replace it.

There is a mechanical cable that goes from the auto shifter to the ignition lock cylinder that prevents you from removing the key when it isn't in park, and I think it's maybe a coincidence that moving the shifter helps, HOWEVER, there is a possibility that portion of the ignition lock cylinder could be sticking up and causing it, so lube that up to (also on the ignition lock cylinder at the column).

One of those things will definitely fix the problem.

I want to take a minute to explain how this site works.

We work from our cell phones, shops, homes, etc to help people fix their cars. Recently the site added a membership feature for our customers to get more questions for less money. Unfortunately it has caused confusion with some customers who think that because they've become members or payed a deposit, they don't need to rate or accept our answer.

If you don't accept the answer, we don't even get an hourly wage, and because of the memberships, I have seen my accept percentage fall by almost half.

You're completely covered by both your credit card, and you can put in for a refund if I can't work out a successful solution to your problem. Please remember to hit accept, the site is getting paid but a lot of us experts are not getting our cut of correctly answered questions because of confusion about the site.

You can still come back later and ask follow up questions if necessary on this page even after you hit accept, but if you
leave to fix the vehicle and don't return in time, it will time out, the site keeps your money, and even though I was right, I get nothing.

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
It's a push-buttom start, so your answer won't work.

Ok, my apologies I misread. What a LOOONG waste of typing lol.

When this happens, is the shifter display still lit on the dashboard so you can see what gear the transmission control module interprets the vehicle to be in? Next time you can repeat this concern, I want you to key it back on and see if it says it's in park, or if it's saying it's in reverse or even the display is ghosted. Then we need to find out if it's the gearshift position sensor which is below the shifter, or if it's the neutral safety switch in the transmission. That's going to be the difficult part because it'll probably require a scan tool capable of reading the transmission module so we can check it for faults, and watch the value of the shifter position for each switch or sensor. This hasn't set any faults has it?