Subaru

Have Subaru questions? Ask a Subaru mechanic and get answers ASAP

My 2012 interior blower motor isn't working. I replaced the…

Customer Question
My 2012 interior blower...

My 2012 interior blower motor isn't working. I replaced the blower motor and the resistor. fuses are good. it started with certain speeds not working, then totally died

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

I checked and they are good.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '12 Subaru?

Premium 2.5i

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, I've tried replacing the blower motor and ac resistor. also checked the fuses associated with ac

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I don't think so

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Subaru
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/29/2018
Subaru Mechanic: peterpete190, Auto Technician replied 2 months ago
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today. In some cases, I may need more info to assist better. I apologize for any delay.
I try to be here most weekdays and some weekends. If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

What model Subaru is this and does it have the automatic temp controls with auto settings or manual controls for heat and ac?

Let me know,thanks Pete

2012 outback premium 2.5i, manual controls for heat and ac.

The blower switch which is part of the control assembly on the dash sends a direct ground signal to the blower motor bypassing the resistor when on high speed. If you have no speeds including high speed most likely the control assembly on the dash is faulty which is most common to cause this issue with what you have already replaced.

To test this set the speed to high with the key on or engine running and see if you have a ground signal on the Black/yellow wire. If you do not then the control assembly in the dash needs replaced. The blower speed switch will start to fail or act up and then fail completely causing this issue here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above). You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question. I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks, Pete